Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Starting up the blog~

Well now, it seems there really are people out there who want to read my thoughts. lol
So I started up a blog to aid in challenge venting and share a little of the behind the scenes goings on with the Project Dollway viewers. Since I didn't really give a lot of background on the first challenge (Gene) I guess I will start with that. *wink*

Being a fairly new doll collector, I was of coarse familiar with Gene, but honestly had never seen one in person. So the minute I was told she would be the first model for PD, I jumped on Ebay and bought one. My first impression was that she was a giant Barbie with 1950's makeup. I liked this and I knew she would be more fun for me than say, a standard size fashion doll. My hands just don't like to sew that small, which is why I settled down in the wonderful size range of Asian ball joint dolls.
I started making general dress patterns for Gene as soon as she got home so I would be somewhat prepared for whatever Ted tossed my way come challenge day. This ended up to be a HUGE help as none of the patterns in my current collection were made for dolls of her size, so I had to start from scratch.

My background as a manager of a clothing designer showroom in Los Angeles helped a lot as well. I had spent several years of dressing real size celebs for the Oscars, Emmys, Grammys and just about every other Hollywood red carpet event there was to attend, so I had a good idea of what someone of that stature might choose.
My tricky thing was choosing the colors. I often fall back on black for several reasons. It is very slimming, it is a popular staple color for many women at black tie affairs and it flatters the figure beautifully when used correctly.
I was sure I wanted a crop jacket and a corset top to the dress. The trouble came when I stood back to look at the entire outfit and didn't care for the straight line hem.
That is when I decided to create the fan detail in moss green. Looking back after hearing Mr. O's comments, I wouldn't have changed or added a thing. Hind sight...lol

I will blog a bit more about the Gene challenge later and talk a little about Ms. Ellowyne~
Until then~
~Locked in the sewing studio~

Brandon

1 comment:

dalsdolls said...

Love your choice of colors Moss and black! I forgot to bid on your ebay auction and was so mad it went for so little. Do not despair...once Dollway hits the masses you will see your outfit reselling for triple or more!!!!
Looking FWD to seeing your next design. Ellowyne seems to be a perfect doll to have some design fun with!
Hugs,
dal